Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login



17 NOVEMBER 2018

Where am I? Home Columns Marc Livitz

Porter Outshines Broner In Vegas

By Marc Livitz: Shawn Porter put another dent in Adrien Broner’s brash facade tonight with a resounding unanimous decision win in a non-title welterweight clash at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.


Whether by way of nerves, jitters or the like, each man tried to measure the other after weeks of talk, albeit mostly one sided finally ended with the reason why everyone was ultimately involved. Porter showed more aggression later in the first and was able to press Broner to the ropes with a short flurry of punches which began with a few shots to the head.


Adrien looked often in the second to guess when Shawn would come forward in an attempt to catch him with his left hook. His counter right connected with about a minute to go as Porter charged inward. As the round edged closer to a close, "The Problem" Broner was content to tie up "Showtime" Shawn as well as push his head down.


The two competitors from Ohio continued to fight close in well into the third and as before, Broner was looking for the perfect counter to Porter’s inward advances. Shawn looked to land whenever he could during the clinches, especially up high. After a slip by Adrien was deemed a no-knockdown by referee Tony Weeks, Porter seemed even more energized and looked to move in.


The crowd at the MGM was growing audibly disappointed with Broner’s consistent holding, grappling and forearms. Weeks warned the Cincinnati fighter several times throughout the round. His Cleveland foe wasn’t letting the clinches slow him down and he continued to throw until the bell sounded. Through four full rounds, Shawn Porter was by no means dominating the contest, yet he was pushing the action to a much greater extent.


He used his jab more as the fifth commenced. The two exchanged at times. Broner’s timing was improving and he was moving much more. Porter, by contrast continued to chase his opponent around the ring as a few more boos rang out in the arena. The opening moments of round six saw each fighter land a straight right to the head.


In many ways, the bout was a big mess. The differences between the two boxers wasn’t easy on the eyes. Neither contestant made a remarkable jump in the round as the first half of the bout was now in the history books.


Broner’s antics reared themselves in the opening minute of the seventh. After breaking a from a clinch at the request of Tony Weeks, Broner threw two punches over the back of his head in a jest like fashion. The round seemed to fly by with nothing much to judge by any immediate reaction. It was anyone’s three minutes.


Shawn looked to use his left jab early on in the eighth, while Adrien countered effectively with left hooks and straight rights. As before, it was Porter with the volume and Broner with a bit more effectiveness. Shawn landed a quick left hook to his in state foe’s head to close the round.


Porter looked to go to the body early on in round nine. Broner executed a prefect two hand grab of both of Shawn’s arms at the elbow, yet Weeks still did not deduct any points. The pattern of punches, counters and holds continued into the tenth. A solid right connected to Broner’s face in the first minute. He landed another thirty seconds later. Porter was clearly outworking "The Problem", yet Adrien kept his composure and knew better than to stand in front of his Cleveland adversary.


Both fighters seemed more reserved early on in round eleven. Broner was in many ways running from Porter and Shawn was content to run after him. The biggest swing in momentum finally came in the last twenty seconds of the period, not due to a knockdown, but rather by a point deduction which was a very long time coming. Tony Weeks had seen enough of Broner’s holding a signaled for point to be taken away from him.


Speaking of a knockdown, Adrien charged out of the gates in the twelfth and final round and dropped Porter with a quick left hook to the face. The Cleveland man beat the count and looked to get his legs back. He didn’t hold back or look to survive after the first trip to the canvas of his career. With ninety seconds to go in the contest, Broner seemed to know that he would need a knockout to win. He was at last the aggressor of sorts. Shawn wouldn’t let up and he wasn’t going to let the knockdown amount to anything more than a round likely lost.


The bell sounded to end the fight. Shawn Porter raised his hands in victory, while Adrien Broner did not. The ringside judges’ scorecards were tallied and read as follows:


Adalaide Byrd: 114-112, Dave Moretti: 115-111 and Eric Cheek: 118-108, all to the well deserved winner by unanimous decision, "Showtime" Shawn Porter. The cheers at the MGM were either for the Porter win or the Broner loss. Shawn almost threw six hundred punches to Adrien’s fewer than three hundred. That told the story. Porter scored the biggest win of his career tonight and took his record to (26-1-1, 16 KO’s), while Broner’s now stands at (30-2, 22 KO’s).


Spence, Jr. Crushes Lo Greco in Third Round


In the evening’s co-main event, Errol Spence, Jr. scored an impressive third round TKO win over Phil Lo Greco in a welterweight contest.


The 2012 Olympian from De Soto, Texas had been slated to fight Roberto Garcia, however plans changed when Garcia was found to be nowhere close to the welterweight limit of 147 pounds. Enter Lo Greco, who had conveniently been training in Las Vegas as part of Jessie Vargas’ training camp, who himself is currently making preparations to face Tim Bradley, Jr. next weekend.


Lo Greco kept his left hand out in a pawing fashion in the opening minutes. He was able to catch Spence a few times with looping rights early on. Errol connected with a straight left in the last ten seconds. He seemed thrown off just a bit early on, perhaps due to the late replacement from Toronto and his awkward style. Spence seemed to easily adjust as the second commenced as he connected with successive body shots. His technique was on further display as the action moved closer in. His hard punches to the body of Lo Greco caused the Canadian fighter to lower his guard, which made it easier for him to land his left uppercut. Phil looked visibly worn as he walked back to his corner.


Thirty seconds into round three gave the crowd at the MGM the bout’s first knockdown. Hard body shots made a right hook to the top of the head possible and Lo Greco was sent to the mat. He beat the count and soldiered on. However and not surprisingly, Errol continued with the onslaught for the next minute and caught Phil flush with several unanswered, down the pipe variety of punches to the head.


Referee Robert Byrd was closely monitoring the action and he wisely stepped in to stop the melee at the 1:50 point of round three. With the TKO win, Errol Spence, Jr. improved to seventeen wins without a loss alongside fourteen knockouts. The game and brave Phil Lo Greco suffered his second career loss (first by knockout) against twenty six victories.


Additional Results

Terrell Gausha UD 8 Luis Grajeda - Super Middleweights

Robert Easter KO 2 Miguel Mendoza - Super Lightweights



For further boxing discussion, contact SecondsOut on Facebook. Also, be sure to "LIKE" the SecondsOut Facebook page.


June 20, 2015








License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &