Vic Darchinyan surrounded by the media
By Paul Upham in Sydney: Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan returned home to Australia on Wednesday morning after his history making win over Cristian Mijares on Saturday night in Los Angeles. The 32 year-old, who now holds the WBC, WBA and IBF belts at 115lbs, promptly declared that he wants to win even more boxing world titles.
“I would love to fight Fernando Montiel for his WBO title,” he said. “We are hearing that he wants to move up. If he can wait, that would be better, because then he can give me his belt after I beat him.”
The Armenia born Australian citizen demolished his Mexican rival in nine rounds, which included two knockdowns, televised in the USA on Showtime. Darchinyan 31-1-1 (25) was greeted at Sydney International Airport by his family, friends and a large contingent of media.
“I am very happy to see all the cameras and the media here,” smiled Darchinyan. “I remember being here at the airport seven years ago when Kostya Tszyu became undisputed champion of the world after beating Zab Judah. There were so many people here that day, lots and lots of media. Back then I knew my time would come. Thank you to God and to all the people around me. My family and my team. I did it. We did it together.”
Arriving at 8:30am on a United Airlines flight from Los Angeles, Darchinyan was carrying his IBF belt that he previously held and hopes to have his new WBC and WBA championship belts that he won from Mijares delivered to him in the next ten days.
“I am very happy,” he said. “It is great to be back with my family, my son Ruben. I can’t say in words how happy I am. I think it is the best win for me so far. I trained hard. Best performance? I think so. It was something new again. I couldn’t sleep the night before the fight. I had a tooth problem. But still, I am very happy. I did exactly what I was supposed to do. Focus on the fight. Use my jab. I was happy with my performance. I feel that I can do much better. I thought my jab was not fast enough. I think I can give more and I will do it.”
Manager Elias Nasser revealed that negotiations are already underway for Darchinyan’s next fight. While Showtime have suggested a March 2009 date on a Gary Shaw promoted double-header, also featuring light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson, Nasser said that there is now interest in Darchinyan from other television networks.
“There have been talks about a fight with Jorge Arce,” said Nasser. “We are hoping we can do a deal by Friday.”
“I want to fight Jorge Arce,” added Darchinyan. “I also want to move up in weight and fight Israel Vazquez. I want to fight world champions, the best in the world. I can fight in any weight division. I will bring my power to every fight.”
While he appeared tired from the long fifteen-hour flight, Darchinyan is looking forward to a well-deserved party.
“Today I want to celebrate and enjoy with my family,” he said. “I want to rest, then in the New Year, we will have another big fight coming. With my manager Elias, I want only to fight for new world titles. I don’t want to just defend. In boxing now, I am thinking a different way. I am not sitting watching my titles. I want to fight for more world titles. I want to get bigger and fight higher in weight.”