Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login



17 NOVEMBER 2018

Where am I? Home Columns Paul Upham

Dawson Defeats Johnson on Points Once Again

Dawson wins again
Dawson wins again

By Paul Upham: Almost two years after their first fight, light heavyweights Chad Dawson and Glen Johnson battled for a second time with the same result. Once again, Dawson won a unanimous twelve round points decision at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut, on Saturday night, televised in the USA on HBO World Championship Boxing. The twelve round match was for the WBC Interim / IBO light heavyweight world titles.

“I did what I said was going to do,” said Dawson, after the win. “I wanted to outbox him and used my legs. I had youth on my side. I wanted to use all my tools.

40 year-old Johnson 49-13-2 (33), Miami, Florida was aggressive in coming forward in round 1, throwing his jab and also targeting the body. Southpaw Dawson returned serve with more cautious flurries. His defence was excellent, making Johnson lunge and miss with his jab. Dawson was strong to finish the round in front of his home crowd.

In round 2, 27 year-old Dawson 29-0 (17), New Haven, Connecticut, propped and landed his straight left hand. Johnson was dedicated to the jab and there was a nice exchange to finish the round.

Dawson, 175 pounds, was hitting with more authority in round 3. Johnson, 173 ½ pounds, was trying to outwork him, but Dawson was landing the stronger punches.

Johnson appeared to be slowing down in rounds 4 and 5, just ever so slightly. Dawson’s slick moves and eye catching punches were winning him the rounds.

Pushed by his corner, Johnson rededicated himself to his jab in round 6. But time was slipping away as he failed to hurt Dawson. Johnson’s corner told him before the beginning of round 7, that he had not won a single round and needed a knockout to win.

Johnson was just not landing enough punches to make an indent on Dawson’s lead. No matter how much Johnson landed in round 9, Dawson would always come back with the harder, more effective punches.

Dawson was assertive to begin round 10. His home crowd urging him on to finish with a knockout win. In round 11, he showed some fancy footwork to avoid Johnson’s desperate punching.

Round 12 saw the final charge from Johnson, but he could not land the one punch that would change the course of the fight.

While Dawson appeared to have won nine rounds in total, it was much closer on the official scorecards. Two judges scoring 7 rounds to 5 in favour of the local.

All three judges scored the fight for Dawson 115-113, 115-113 and 117-111.

“I try to get better every fight,” said Dawson. “I try to show something new. I boxed him every round and outclassed him.”

Asked which fight he would most like next, Dawson replied, “Bernard Hopkins. That’s the guy.”

In the main support bout, rising Mexican star Alfredo Angulo won the WBO Interim junior middleweight world title with a brutal 3rd round knockout win over previously undefeated Harry Joe Yorgey.

31 year-old Yorgey 22-1-1 (10) from Bridgeport, Pennsylvania, was on the move early, trying to counter with hard punches, as Angulo, 153 ½ pounds, aggressively pursued him.

27 year-old Angulo 17-1 (14) from Mexicali, Mexico, landed a scorching straight right hand in round 2 and a hurt Yorgey was held up by the ropes. Angulo followed up and eventually dropped him to the canvas, but also hit Yorgey, 153 1/4 pounds, while he was down with two punches.

Beating the count, Yorgey was on unsteady legs and was hurt again by Angulo and spun across the ring. Trying to fight on unsteady legs, Yorgey tried to hang on and then traded wildly with Angulo in thrilling exchange seconds before the bell.

Yorgey was still wobbly and was hurt again early in round 3. Yorgey was virtually defenceless and was trying to hang on, eventually hanging on around Angulo’s legs.

The end came shortly after. Trapped in a corner, Yorgey was knockout out on his feet by a left hook. The follow-up right hand was even more devastating as it landed on the defenceless fighter.

Referee Johnny Callas immediately waved off the fight without counting. The match was stopped at the 1:03 minute mark of round 3.

“It was my first chance at a world title and I couldn’t let it go,” said Angulo, explaining his aggressive manner from the opening bell.

Paul Upham
Content Editor

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed
License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &