George Groves has made an official appeal to the British Boxing Board of Control to have his controversial stoppage loss to Carl Froch last November made a ‘no contest’.
The 25 year-old Londoner lost his unbeaten record when referee Howard Foster stopped his bout with Froch in the ninth round and now Groves wants the decision reversed.
In an interview with Sportsvibe Groves said: “It’s really important to me that the Froch fight is declared a no contest. I’ve never had a loss against my name before and I have no intention of ever having one in my career.
“I can’t count my last fight against Froch as a defeat as I clearly don’t accept the result and neither, judging by the fact that they have ordered Froch to fight me next up, do the International Boxing Federation. Only the British Board as the host Board for the previous fight can make that judgement but I’m hoping all the evidence will make them declare it null and void.”
Groves also told Sportvibe the IBF had studied a video of the fight and have granted a rematch. “Myself, my lawyer and my trainer, Paddy Fitzpatrick, attended a hearing on January 15th in New Jersey with the IBF who had present three boxing referees to study footage we provided,” Groves explained.
“We also brought to their notice the fact that Howard Foster had liked a facebook message the day before the fight saying how Froch would stop me in the ninth round, although he says his page had been hacked into.
“The IBF agreed with us on all our points and ordered the rematch making me the mandatory challenger.
“This was very important to me because people were telling me I didn’t have a chance with the IBF and to let it go, but this was a world title fight, something I’d trained all my life for and I just wasn’t going to accept having it taken away from me when I was clearly beating the man. I spent a lot of money to get my way on this.”
February 3, 2014