Former European super bantamweight champion Rendall Munroe has announced that he will fight again, five months after losing to domestic British rival Scott Quiig(6th tko) and announcing his retirement.
Munroe, who plans to fight again at the Republic nightclub on May 11 made the announcement exclusively to his local newspaper thisisleicestershire.co.uk
Speaking to his local newspaper the 32 year-old said: "I know I can still be a world champion. I’ve been sparring and it’s definitely still there. I won’t say I feel better than I used to, but I’m enjoying the training more.
"I’m still eating healthily and now I’m eating more. I had been making 8st 10lbs for a long time and I don’t think keeping my weight down for all those years did me any good. I walk around at 10 stones these days – and that’s a lot of weight to lose for a fight. I had got fed up with the way I was being treated as well. I had worked hard, proved I was good enough to fight at world level and ended up fighting at domestic level again. I struggled to get up for my last fight."
Munroe said he is only returning to the ring because he cannot return to his old job as a rubbish collector in his home city.
"If they had me back on the bins, I wouldn’t be thinking about boxing again," said Munroe.
"It was the perfect job for me. I was outside, exercising, seeing people and enjoying myself. I was there for eight years and only had one day off sick when they sent me home.
"We worked as a team I was never disrespectful, did my work well and never had any disciplinary problems.
"I always said I would go back on the bins when I stopped boxing.
"I’ve been told they won’t have me back because I’ve got an attitude problem, and that’s rubbish."
April 12, 2013