Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

23 MAY 2018

Where am I? Home Main News

Coyle stops Simpson ,Campbell victorious,Browne Takes Out Towers

Tommy Coyle returned to action in front of his Hull City faithful, four months on from his knockout loss to Derry Mathews, and dropped the former British featherweight champion John Simpson three times on route to a seventh round TKO victory to claim the vacant IBF International lightweight title.


A right hook from Coyle sent Simpson, who was bleeding heavily on the corner of his right eye from a head clash in round two, to the canvas for the third time in round five, and although the Greenock man appeared steady on his feet referee Phil Edwards waved the contest off at 2-02 much to the dismay of the visitor.


“Boom Boom” Coyle (9st 8lbs 4oz) was in control of much of the action from the off as he boxed smartly off the back foot and made Simpson (9st 8lbs 4oz) miss with regularity whilst punctuating the Scotsman’s defences with blistering counters.


Simpson, one of the toughest warriors in British boxing, stalked Coyle and never stopped trying but after a period of frustration in the second round when he failed to land anything of note on the younger man he was caught by a sweet right uppercut and found himself on the canvas as the bell sounded to end the session.


The Scotsman had his best session in round four as he managed to trap Coyle on the ropes with more regularity but it was turning into a frustrating night for Simpson as the Hull native out boxed him in the fifth and sixth.


Simpson was down after a brief exchange of shots in round seven, although he protested it was a slip, and then Coyle landed a sweet right hook to finish matters.


“I’m over the moon with the victory” Coyle told Sky Sports after the contest.


“I only had three weeks with Jamie (Moore) before the Derry fight but we have had another three and you can see I have improved” he said


London Olympic gold medallist Luke Campbell moved to 3-0 (3) when he finally halted the brave challenge of Lee Connelly in round five of a scheduled six threes.


Campbell (9st 8lbs 7oz) showed fast hands, timing and accuracy as he peppered Connelly with punches throughout much to the delight of his home fans, but the Carl Greaves trained man showed pride and that he wasn’t there to lie down after the first solid punch landed, providing Campbell with a good workout.


The end came at 2-00 of the fifth round.


Australian banger Lucas Browne scored a fifth round stoppage win over his friend Richard Towers in a lacklustre heavyweight encounter that failed to live up to its pre-fight billing.


Towers once cooked a meal at his home for Browne when the pair trained together and there was an air of too much respect and knowledge of each other’s strengths and weaknesses in the opening few rounds as the two huge fighters barely landed a punch of note between them.


Towers attempted to stave off the menace of the tattooed Aussie with a jab, but there was nothing behind it and Browne was able to walk through it but couldn’t find the shot he was looking for, the right hand.


When Browne finally stepped in with more than one crude swing he hurt Towers with a right hand that sent him leaning over the top rope. Browne didn’t stop punching and when referee Steve Gray separated them Towers lurched across the ring like a drunk and was rightly stopped from taking anymore punishment after 51 seconds of the session.


In the performance of the night Leeds’ featherweight Josh Warrington scored the first stoppage win of his 16 fight career when he halted fellow unbeaten Samir Mouneimne after 1-27 of the 12th and final round to claim the vacant Commonwealth title.


Mouneimne, who holds a win over Lee Selby, gave Warrington problems with his unconventional style in the opening four rounds, before the English champion got a foothold in the contest and began to outpunch the local favourite.


Warrington proved he has a championship distance engine as he slowly turned the screw on Mouneimne in the later rounds to score a final round stoppage when a right hand rocked the tiring local forcing him to turn away from Warrington before shipping several more lefts and rights that ended matters.


“That’s my first stoppage and I think I was due one” an ecstatic Warrington told Sky Sports


“I thought I would get to him in the later rounds and that proved to be the case. It was all about staying patient mentally”







License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &