Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

25 JUNE 2018

Where am I? Home Main News

Full Report: Tapia Stops Han for NABO Title

Avalos vs Francisco Undercard


By Sean Wippert ringside in Las Vegas: The co-main event of the evening featured a pair of very talented super welterweights trying to stake their claim to the NABO title belt. Coming out of Passaic, NJ and sporting an undefeated record of 18-0 was the hard hitting Glen “Jersey Boy” Tapia. The heavy handed Tapia had even taken down 10 of his opponents via knockout.


Standing across from him was the equally dangerous Abraham “Abie” Han. The El Paso, Texas fighter also carried an equally impressive undefeated record of 19-0 with 12 knockouts. While he did not appear to carry the weight as heavily as his opponent, he never the less looked poised for victory.


The bigger statured Tapia wasted little time in showing everyone in attendance why he had knocked out over half the men he had faced. After catching a slight opening in Han’s defense, he unloaded on him. Shot after shot found their mark, driving Han backward and staggering him a few times. The damage was so severe that it looked like a first round knockout was all but certain. Han’s resolve and exceptional chin were the only things that prevented this from becoming a reality.


One of the biggest problems with firing everything you have in the first three minutes of a ten round fight is that you have nine more rounds to deal with. A fact that was all too evident in Tapia when he came out in the second round. The fire was still in his eyes, but his body seemed exhausted the previous round. Han used this to his advantage, attacking with solid jabs to head and body of Tapia. Han carried this momentum over into the early part of the third round. It was about this time when Tapia appeared to catch a second wind. The men then began exchanging with one another with brutal results.


As the middle rounds came and went it seemed that only a referee stoppage could contain either man’s desire to take the other one out. In the fourth that event actually happened when an accidental head butt opened a nasty gash on the left side of Han’s head. From then on out it became a bloodied affair. Although the cut was constantly patched in between rounds, within seconds of the sounding bell the ring was soaked with crimson. At one point many around the ring through Tapia has sliced his ear open, when in reality Han had just brushed his gash against it.


Han began pressing Tapia after the stoppage. His increased punch output in the middle rounds actually began backing the bigger more aggressive Tapia up. This however was short lived as by the seventh Tapia had regained control of the fight with a resurgence of hard shots. The damage culminated in the first knockdown of the fight, a hard right hook that sent Han into the ropes.


This onslaught continued into the eighth round as Tapia continued his pounding on his opponent. Shot after shot were now finding their mark with little response from Han. Before the ninth round referee Jay Nady went over to the battered Han’s corner. What he saw gave him enough reason to stop the fight.


The fight was officially awarded to Tapia who improves to 19-0 with now 11 knockouts. With the win he takes home the NABO super welterweight title. The tough loss awards Han his first professional defeat, sending him to a near identical 19-1 with now 12 knockouts.

To say that light Las Vegas welterweight Jesus Gutierrez came into his bout against Guillermo “El Conquistador” Delgadillo with the crowd on his shoulders would be putting it lightly. The calls and screams for him seemed to last far beyond the initial introductions and even past the opening bell. To his credit he did not disappoint those in attendance.


After a slightly tepid opening Gutierrez struck first, opened with a flurry. The attack drove Delgadillo backward as the Las Vegan seemed bent on taking the fight to his opponent. Delgadillo responded with a few shots but found himself catching far more return fire. The pair continued like this in through the middle rounds, often trading shots with abandon.


Through the continuing frays Gutierrez appeared to get the better of the two men. They closed out in the sixth and final round with a flurry that nearly took both men to the hospital. When the final scores were tallied, it was Gutierrez who took home the victory with numbers of 57-57, 59-52, and 59-52. With the majority decision, Gutierrez improved to 9-0 with 2 knockouts, and sends his opponent Delgadillo to 4-4-1 with 0 knockouts.


In the world of lightweights, Detroit Michigan’s Erik De Leon extended his undefeated streak to four with a victory over Alejandro Ochoa. De Leon did this with a brutal attack to both the body and head of Ochoa. The damage was so intense that by the third round both of Ochoa’s eyes were cut and bleeding heavily.


After four rounds the judges saw it unanimously in favor of De Leon with scores of 40-36 across the board. With the win he improves to 4-0 with 1 knockout. The painful loss drops Ochoa to an even 1-1 with 0 knockouts.

Las Vegas super featherweight Pedro Toledo was in action as he took on scrappy Carlos Gonzales from Bell, CA. All puns aside the fight was fast, furious, bloody and at times but very entertaining. Both men swung like a pair of hungry up and comers looking to show the world what they could do.


As the fight progressed it was Toledo that was getting the better of the exchanges. Unfortunately, just as things were beginning to get good there was a clash of heads in the second round. The fight was temporarily stopped and the men went back to work shortly after. The damage from however took its toll as the fight was called before the beginning of the third. The official ruling was a no decision.


“T-Nice” Toka Kahn Clary was very convincing in his very contradictory to his nickname in his bout against Pedro Torres. The super featherweight from Providence, RI came out firing from the opening bell as though actively looking for a quick night. His efforts were rewarded when a left hook found its mark after a clench, dropping Torres in the first.


The second round was a bit of a repeat of the first as Clary proceeded to maul his opponent with a flurry of leather. Near the middle of the second round he landed a crushing left hook that floored Torres again. The Ciudad Juarez fighter regained himself but would be knocked to the canvas a second time and pummeled until the final seconds of the round. Referee Robert Byrd had seen enough and quickly stepped in, stopping the fight at the 2:58 mark of the second round. With the win Clary remains undefeated, improving to 6-0 with 5 knockouts. The loss drops Torres to 5-6-2 with 4 knockouts.


The opening bout of the evening saw super middleweight Jessie “Hardwork” Hart earn yet another win in convincing fashion. The Philadelphia, PA fighter opened with a solid jab attack against his opponent Eddie “Bossman” Hunter and never looked back. Hart connected with a hard overhand right in the closing seconds of the first round that sent Hunter.


Although Hunter recovered and made it to the second round, at the 1:17 mark of the second he caught a hard left hook that sent him out for the night. Referee Jay Nady had seen enough and called a stoppage to the fight. With the TKO victory Hart improves to 7-0 with now 6 knockouts. The brutal defeat sends Hunter to 8-9-2 with 2 knockouts.


You can also contact Sean Wippert at on Facebook at: on twitter at

License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &