Promoter Ricky Hatton has vowed to give his talent stacked stable a new television home after Hatton Promotions split from Sky Sports.
The boxing world was shocked when the television network decided not to give the European Promoters of the Year any further dates after their Manchester Velodrome super show on Saturday June 16.
Former two-weight world champion Hatton has played a huge part in Sky’s success story in the last decade earning them millions and breaking British television pay-per-view records.
But Hatton who has produced many champions in less than three years as a promoter believes it is a new beginning for his mushrooming brand that includes a member’s gym, a clothing range and a TV network.
The Hitman said: “The news came as a blow and I feel we have been unfairly treated, but there are meetings already set up with other TV channels.
“Next season I am very confident that my fighters will have a big television platform to perform on.
“I have a great stable of fighters, many champions and a hard working team. TV companies have contacted me – not me them which is encouraging.
“It shows the great promotions I have staged for Sky hasn’t gone unnoticed.
“Last month I promoted a potential Fight of the Year between Anthony Crolla and Derry Mathews for Sky and we’re staging the ‘Road to Glory’ card next month which will be our final Sky date.
“When I started promoting three years ago my plan was to build a successful stable and produce champions.
“I have done that, producing many British, Commonwealth, European and International champions, and world title challengers.
“Just as Hatton Promotions were making their mark, Sky Sports have told me we haven’t got any more dates after the June 16 card.”
Hatton Promotions were told that their contract was not being renewed in a short e-mail from Sky’s Head of Sport, Barney Francis almost two weeks ago.
He added: “The most disappointing aspect of it all is the relationship I had with Sky until almost two weeks ago.
“It isn’t rocket science to work out how well I did for Sky Sports as a boxer and a promoter.
“I was their first world champion to come through without terrestrial TV, gave them their biggest Box Office successes ever and helped make them millions of pounds.
“They repaid me by telling me I had no more dates by e-mail. There was no phone call to me or anything like that and even the e-mail was sent to my Director of Boxing, Richard Poxon – not me.
“If you finish with a girlfriend by e-mail all your mates would be calling you some right names. I obviously have better morals than they do.
“Since the news broke it is amazing the amount of support shown towards Hatton Promotions from fans, journalists and even rival promoters.
“Hatton Promotions isn’t going anywhere and we will be back on TV in the new season delivering high class shows for a new broadcast partner.”
Hatton Promotions final Sky bill on June 16 is their biggest ever and proof of the quality in their stable.
LINE UP: Scott Quigg v Rendall Munroe (vacant WBA interim super-bantamweight title), Ryan Rhodes v Sergey Rabchenko (vacant European light-middleweight title), Martin Murray v S/O (Title to be announced), Richard Towers v Michael Wallisch (vacant EU heavyweight title), Craig Watson v S/O, Adam Etches v S/O, Scott Jenkins v S/O, Ryan Doyle v S/O, Jimmy Kelly v S/O.
Ticket prices are now on sale priced £125 (VIP Inner Ringside + exclusive cash bar), £100 Ringside, £55, £35 and £30. You can purchase tickets by calling Hatton Promotions hotline 01925 755 222/www.ticketmaster.co.uk/0844 847 2500/www.ticketline.co.uk/0844 888 4402/www.hmv.com
For all the latest updates please follow the Twitter account dedicated to fight @quiggvmunroe
May 1, 2012