Former world champion Isaac Hlatshwayo has announced his retirement. The 35 year-old South African made the decision on Thursday after 13 years as a professional.
Hlatshwayo said he began to mull the decision to quit after Boxing South Africa board member Dr Peter Ngatane noted that his punch resistance had gone.
‘‘I made it clear to him that I needed to sit down and think about it. I believed that I could still do it, but somehow felt I should take his advice — ja, it is over," an emotional Hlatshwayo told bdlive.co.za
Hlatshwayo added: ‘‘People had been saying that I should quit and I would say to them ‘yes’, although I was still not sure if I was ready to make that call. I even spoke to Lovemore Ndou (who is based in Australia) and asked him to get me fights over there. He did not sound chuffed but promised to do something, as he did in 2011."
Hlatshwayo, who finishes with a record of 30 wins,6 defeats and 1 draw, has lost his last four bouts. Hlatshwayo won the vacant IBF welterweight title via 12 round split decision against Delvin Rodriguez in August 2009 but lost the title four months later via third round tko against Jan Zeveck.
July 12, 2013