Anthony Mundine’s rescheduled light middleweight bout against American veteran Shane Mosley has apparently ko’d Garth Wood’s WBA interim title fight with Britain’s Martin Murray.
Wood Vs Murray was originally to have taken place in Sydney, Australia on December 11 but at a press conference set for today Mundine is expected to announce that he will finally face Mosley two weeks earlier on November 27 in Homebush.
A highly disappointed Wood told The Daily Telegraph in Sydney that he could not expect fight fans to shell out twice before Christmas: "How can we risk following a fight that is essentially two blokes fighting for their super fund?’’ Wood said. "If the Mundine fight is a farce, and I believe it will be, what hope have you got of asking Aussie punters to then shell out another 50 bucks to watch you a fortnight later? And right before Christmas.
"People are fed up with the fight game. That’s what we hoped to change. We weren’t bringing a fighter who is on the way out to Sydney. We were bringing a genuine world champion; a guy ranked No.1 for a reason.
"But to do that, it was going to cost my backers $800,000 ... I can’t ask people to outlay that sort of money if we’re going to be made to follow a circus."
Woods’ legendry trainer Johnny Lewis also questioned how the promoters could go ahead with Mundine vs Mosley a second time when they failed to come up with the remaining $700,000 of Mosley purse before he stepped into the ring.
"For the life of me I can’t understand this decision,’’ Lewis said. "Here was a legitimate title fight, a throwback to those halcyon days of Australian boxing in the 1950s, and they’ve effectively snubbed it.
"I have no problem with Anthony fighting Mosley, but the decision to let them fight two weeks before Garth ... it’s the wrong one."
Wood also questioned why make a fight between two boxers past their best when his clash with Murray is very much an even money affair?
"They’re talking about the winner of Mundine-Mosley fighting Floyd Mayweather,’’ added Wood. "I mean, c’mon, it’s more likely to be Jeff Fenech or Roberto Duran.
"I’ve been living under a rock for a year in preparation for this. Sparred over 500 rounds. It’s incredibly frustrating to a get a genuine fight and have this happen."
November 6, 2013