Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

19 OCTOBER 2018

Where am I? Home Main News

Newport Undercard Report: Cook Claims Welsh Crown

By Dewi Powell at ringside: In chief support to Gavin Rees’s 11th round knockout victory against John Watson was another title fight.

Jason Cook won the Welsh light-welterweight title via sixth round stoppage, 10 years after he first won it, against Ferndale’s Barrie Jones who was challenging for the title for the second time.

From the outset there was a clear clash of styles between the orthodox Cook and the southpaw Jones as the fight struggled for a rhythm. Jones’s jab was the dominating punch in the early stages of the fight. Although the punch wasn’t hurting Cook and not being backed up, it was enough to keep Cook off balance and frustrate him into sometimes lunging in.

Cook’s movement to the right and his head movement attempted to take Jones’s southpaw advantage away but Jones was still finding success with the jab and occasionally backed it up with a straight left which found the gap in-between Cook’s gloves.

Cook seemed to subtly change tactics in the fifth and by rushing Jones into fighting he forced the southpaw to stand squarer on to the former European lightweight champion who took advantage by introducing his trademark left hook. It was that same shot to the body that had Jones down and once he got back to his feet another body attack by Maesteg’s Cook had Jones down again. Jones took an eight count from referee Roddy Evans and with one second left in the round he shook his head to indicate he’d had enough and Roddy Evans waved the fight off.

Jason Cook (9st, 13lbs, 13oz) is now a two-time Welsh light-welterweight champion and his record stands at 27(14)-3(2)-1, while Barrie Jones’s (9st, 13lbs, 12oz) record slips to 16(7)-6(3).

Newbridge’s Bradley Pryce out-pointed Chingford’s Michael Lomax in an exciting eight rounder at welterweight.

The bout started tentatively with the fighters trading punches on each others gloves. At the end of the first round Pryce took the initiative by forcing Lomax back in a straight line to land a three punch combo. However, an accidental clash of heads opened a nasty cut behind Pryce’s ear and Pryce looked unsteady for the rest of the round and the next where Lomax scored with his jab.

A re-composed Pryce came out for the third a lot more balanced. Pryce moved his upper body and head well to avoid Lomax’s awkward southpaw lead and land his own shots, scoring with an over hand right that staggered Lomax at the end of the third.

Pryce suffered another cut, this time to his eye, via apparent accidental headbutt but was taking charge of the fight. Although Pryce didn’t move his head going forward as he did going backwards or side-wards his foot and positional movement kept Lomax off balance so Pryce could counter with eye-catching and thudding shots as Lomax began lunging in.
The middle rounds of the bout saw Pryce’s low lead hand come into the fight more. Instead of the low lead encouraging Lomax to take the front foot it kept him off as Pryce fired it sharply from varying angles. Despite another (small) cut to Pryce’s other eye, he controlled the fight and as he relaxed he took half a step back to give him the room to stalk Lomax and step in with his chosen shots.


Referee Roddy Evans scored the bout 79-75 in favour of Pryce (10st, 9lbs, 5oz) who progresses to 31(18)-8(4) and Lomax (10, 11lbs, 8oz) is now at 17(2)-3(1)-1.

Pontypool man Jeff Evans and Surrey’s Gary Boulden fought to a draw in an evenly matched four rounder at super-middleweight.

A fast start to the bout saw Boulden move well, score with his right hooks and get out of range before Evans could make an impression. Evans attacked in straight lines but he came out patient in the second round. Fighting behind his jab, Evans was able to time Boulden’s attacks and when the two met Evans found a good balance of taking Boulden’s shots on his gloves and using his physical size advantage to get the better of the inside fighting.

Evans continued to fight well in the third and to time Boulden’s approach, Evans took a step to the left and used a check-left-hook a few times which kept Boulden off balance for periods of the third round. Boulden felt his way into the round more, especially as the two exchanged hooks but Evans’s uppercuts towards the end of the round looked like enough for him to bag the round. The last round saw Boulden return to his first-round-self. Boulden’s in-and-out tactics coupled with his speed, which saw him throw and land his punches first, were enough for the referee to score the bout a draw.

Referee Reece Carter scored the bout 39-39, meaning Jeff Evans (12st) is now at 4-1-1 and Gary Boulden (11st, 13lbs, 5oz) at 3-1-1.

Unbeaten Pole, Grzegorz Proska scored an impressive fifth round knockout over the tough Ghanaian middleweight Theophilus Tetteh.

Proska started the fight very well but was allowed to do so by the inactivity of Tetteh, who was throwing weak jabs with literally nothing else unless Proska had landed three or four punches – by which time he was out of range anyway. With a very unorthodox stance Proska did take a few un-necessary jabs but they weren’t anything to concern him as he stayed relaxed and used his left hook to the head and straight left to the body in a peak-a-boo style to consistently hurt Tetteh.

From round three onwards Proska started to load up with his power shots, resulting in a Tetteh low blow to get Proska off him. Proska started to use an overhand left more and more with relative success giving referee Clark Joslyn a few opportunities to step in and end the fight but in round five Proska landed a fully fledged flush overhand left to floor Tetteh and the referee deemed Tetteh in no fit shape to continue.

Proska now rises to 22(15)-0, while Teeteh slumps to 9(2)-6(1)-2.

Former Prizefighter winner Patrick Mendy edged out Jamie Ambler in a competitive fight over four rounds at super-middleweight.

The bout started with Mendy on the front foot and forcing Ambler onto the ropes with a strong jab. Once on the ropes Mendy’s work showed good variation and scored well with hooks to the body and an uppercut through the guard of Ambler. Despite Ambler having an obvious height advantage, the 6ft 2 inches Aberystwyth man didn’t use it until the second round where he frustrated Mendy by landing straight rights before tying Mendy up. However, Mendy was leading again in the fight following the third round as he landed more often and cleaner punches and his head movement allowed him to get past Ambler’s long lead arm to repeatedly force Ambler straight back to the topes.

Referee Reece Carter scored the bout 39-37, Patrick Mendy’s (11st, 9.25lbs) record rises to 9(1)-4 and Jamie Ambler’s (12st, 1.25lbs) record now stands at 9(3)-44(6)-2.

Manchester’s light-welterweight Karl Place routinely out-pointed Worchester’s light-middleweight centurion Billy Smith over four rounds as the two met at welterweight.

From the start Place kept Smith on the back foot with his jab and body attack, limiting Smith’s movement which forced him to stand with Place. Place continued to control the fight as he dictated pace with a sharp lead left which worked well when thrown to the body then doubled to Smith’s head. However, the durable Smith never stopped trying and made Place work for the win as the two exchanged hooks towards the end of the fourth.

The bout was refereed by Clark Joslyn and scored by Roddy Evans as 40-36 in favour of Karl Place (10st, 10lbs, 9oz) who’s record now stands at 10(6)-0, while Billy Smith (11st, 3oz) is now at 12-86(7)-2.

License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &