Jamie McDonnell and Stephen Smith fight for World crowns – Murray and Abraham rematch – Heavyweight danger man Ortiz makes Euro debut
Matchroom Boxing and the Casino de Monte-Carlo are delighted to announce a blockbuster night of World championship boxing on November 12 at Salle des Etoiles, Sporting Monte-Carlo in ‘Monte-Carlo Boxing Bonanza.
One of the world’s most dangerous and exciting Heavyweights, Luis Ortiz, tops the bill as he looks to add to his 22 KOs from 25 wins as he takes on Malik Scott for the WBA Inter-Continental title – with Ortiz making his European debut in his first fight since teaming up with Matchroom Boxing.
WBA World Bantamweight king Jamie McDonnell defends his crown against Liberio Solis. It’s the fifth defence for the Doncaster ace, who followed his stoppage win over Javier Chacon with a pair of impressive wins over Tomoki Kameda in Texas last year and stopped Fernando Vargas in nine rounds at The O2 in London this April.
Former Super-Flyweight World ruler Solis boxes for the second time to become a two-weight World champion having severely tested WBC king Shinsuke Yamanaka in Japan in March, with both men hitting the canvas before the champion outpointed the Venezuelan challenger.
Stephen Smith has landed a second World title crack, challenging WBA Super-Featherweight kingpin Jason Sosa. Smith travelled to Connecticut to meet IBF ruler Jose Pedraza in April in his first outing for a World belt, and recovered from that points loss with a commanding win over Daniel Brizuela in his hometown of Liverpool a month later. Puerto Rican-American Sosa defends his strap for the first time having ripped the crown from Javier Fortuna in Beijing in June.
There’s a tasty rematch on the bill as Martin Murray looks to avenge his World title loss to Arthur Abraham as the pair clash for the WBO International Super-Middleweight belt – with Murray looking for revenge after suffering a split-decision loss for the German’s World title in November.
The Sporting Monte-Carlo has held two huge World title nights in the last two years, with pound-for-pound Middleweight king Gennady Golovkin defeating Martin Murray in February 2015 and Randy Cabellero outpointing Stuart Hall for the IBF Bantamweight crown in October 2014.
“It is an absolute honour to bring this huge night of World championship boxing to Monaco,” said promoter Eddie Hearn. “It’s been a wonderful few years for British boxing but to showcase this great sport in such a high quality environment is very exciting. This is going to be the most high profile fight night of the year and we are looking forward to putting on an exceptional night of boxing for Monte-Carlo, fans and all of our international broadcasters.”
“We are thrilled to host this new world class boxing event and to perpetuate the tradition of boxing in Monaco which had now become a major rendez-vous for the Casino de Monte-Carlo” said Pascal Camia, Executive Vice President, Casinos of Monaco. “From the gambling tables to the ring, the adrenaline will be flowing for a night of show and entertainment to be remembered.”
Be sure to "LIKE" the SecondsOut Facebook page.
October 9 2016