Promoter Robert Waterman has confirmed that Cello Renda will top the bill at the Peterborough Arena on Saturday, February 2, 2013 after watching the 27 year-old power puncher claim the vacant International Masters light-heavyweight title.
Renda plans to target Britain’s top middleweights next year - and manager Jon Pegg hopes his fight in Peterborough will be a British-title eliminator.
But the Newborough boxer took the chance to box for a light-heavyweight belt at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London and widely outpointed Kirill Psonko over 10 rounds.
Referee Ken Curtis scored the fight 99-94, meaning Renda lost just one round.
Renda settled quickly behind his jab and didn’t let Psonko into the fight until the final round of an otherwise one-sided contest.
"I’m so happy to bring another belt back to Peterborough," said Renda, "and I’m really pleased with the way I boxed.
"I went in there with a game plan and it worked an absolute treat.
"Jon told me to work behind my jab and let the punches flow. He said afterwards that I boxed perfectly and doing 10 rounds has done me a lot more good than knocking someone out early.
"I needed to get rounds under my belt because I want to be fighting for titles next year and I thought I got the job done in a very professional manner.
"In the past, I just wanted to fight, but now I’ve grown up and I’m using my brains more.
"I controlled the fight with my jab. I didn’t need to get out of second gear."
Renda dominated the Lithuanian boxer despite suffering an injury to his left hand in the third round.
He said: "My knuckles and fingers were swollen afterwards. It was painful, but I kept working the jab."
Waterman is currently putting together the next Peterborough show and says fans’ favourites Jake Dyer and Tommy Martin are already pencilled in to appear.
Martin is an all-action light-welterweight from St Neots and launched his pro career with a thrilling knock-out win last month.
November 29, 2012