Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

18 NOVEMBER 2018

Where am I? Home Main News

Tyrone Nurse outclasses last minute opponent

Tyrone Nurse 2
Tyrone Nurse 2

By Danny Winterbottom, Ringside


Having overcome the disappointment of his cancelled challenge for the English light welterweight title Huddersfield’s Tyrone Nurse (10st 2lbs) outclassed last minute Polish import Krzysztof Szolt (10st 3lbs)over eight three’s on this nine bout Dave Coldwell promoted card at Bowlers Exhibition Centre, Manchester.


When Shane Singleton declared at the eleventh hour that he was unable to make 10st in defence of his English light welterweight title against Nurse, Coldwell was forced to recruit a last minute replacement in Szolt but the visitor, although game, was thoroughly outclassed as Nurse eased to a 80-72 victory on referee Steve Gray’s card.


Nurse showcased his defensive moves and his hand speed as he stood in punching range with his squat opponent, who looked like a sawn off Vitali Klitschko, slipping, dipping and sliding away from Szolt’s crude swings before letting his own punches flow in combination that left the visitor bamboozled and bloodied by the end.


Nurse was able to do as he pleased, both up and down, and was troubled more by his dreadlocks occasionally impairing his vision. Although he hit Szolt with his entire arsenal of blows he didn’t carry enough power to warrant Mr Gray from stepping in to halt the contest and the game visitor deservedly heard the final bell.


Preston’s Matty Clarkson made short work of Castleford’s previously unbeaten Jamie Kelly when a left hook to the liver dropped the Yorkshire man for the full count in the opening round of a light heavyweight contest scheduled for six threes.


Clarkson (12st 12lbs), boxing out of the Johnny Roye gym in Preston, is enjoying a good run of form since losing his unbeaten record to Courtney Fry over six rounds back in October last year including an impressive KO win in South Africa and a points win over the tough Carl Wild last time out when he claimed the Central Area title, and is improving steadily.


Kelly (12st 8lbs) came into the contest sporting an unbeaten record but the gangly 28-year-old had only one victory over a fighter with a winning record and he was no match for Clarkson who was razor sharp from the sound of the opening bell until his hand was raised in victory, scoring well with combinations from the outside.


A barrage of blows sent Kelly reeling to the ropes where Clarkson rocked his head back with a pair of rights before Kelly moved away, Clarkson gave chase, and he landed a left to the long body of Kelly who sunk to his knees in a delayed fashion, grimacing in pain.

Referee John Latham reached the count of 10 with Kelly still on his knees in obvious distress, the official time 2-17.


Jimmy ‘Kilrain’ Kelly from Wythenshawe was taken the full six threes by Birmingham’s Dee Mitchell in a light middleweight contest eventually running out a 60-54 winner for referee John Latham of Bury.


21-year-old Kelly (11st 2lbs) is the reigning British Masters Bronze light middleweight champion, and he boxed rings around a reluctant Mitchell (11st 7lbs) who offered nothing but movement throughout a contest that lacked much in the way of action.


Macclesfield’s unbeaten super bantamweight prospect Liam Hanrahan (9st 3lbs) eased to 5-0 with a 40-36 victory over Bulgarian Valentin Marinov (8st 12lbs).

Hanrahan had plenty of noisy support in the hall and he had too much of everything for the European import, showing fast hands, the ability to pick his shots and good punch economy.


He was caught a handful of times coming out of a clinch with his hands down but he was more embarrassed than hurt and he quickly resumed normal service but will need to iron out those flaws before moving on in class. Steve Gray officiated


Barrow’s popular Liam ‘The Terminator’ Conroy (11st 3lbs) was almost turned over for the second time in his six fight career when Gary Cooper (11st 4lbs) of Wales dropped him twice in the second round of their scheduled six threes before Conroy recovered to then out box Cooper behind the jab eeking out a 57-56 victory for Mr Latham.


Conroy, sporting a blackened left eye before any punches were thrown opened the contest behind his jab but he got silly in the second and copped a right hand that dropped him during an exchange.


Sensing an upset Cooper went after his man and having still not fully recovered Conroy shipped a left hook that sent him sprawling to the canvas and Cooper then nailed him with another left whilst he was down just for good measure. Cooper was lucky not to get a sterner telling off from referee John Latham for his infringement but had taken the round 10-7 on my card.


Conroy recovered well and blazed back but Cooper, perhaps because he only has three wins from 15 starts, couldn’t find a finishing blow letting the Barrow man off the hook and allowing him to revert back to boxing winning every other round on my card to claim his fifth win.


Gorton’s Ryan Doyle (9st 6lbs) outscored Mansfield’s Pavels Senkovs (9st 8lbs) 60-54 for referee Steve Gray in a super featherweight six threes.


Doyle was too sharp and accurate for Senkovs in the first four rounds before he stepped on the gas in the last two sessions to come close to stopping his game opponent who finished the contest marked up under both eyes.


43-year-old Carl Allen (10st 11lbs) won his first fight in 10 years with a well-deserved 39-38 victory for referee John Latham over Macclesfield’s Joe Collins (11st 1lbs) in a four three’s.


Allen, who last won a contest in 2003 and whose record reads 19-107-7, simply out worked Collins from the off and never relented, scoring well with looping right hands.

Allen celebrated on hearing Mr Latham’s verdict.


Debutant Danny Benson (14st 7lbs) from Hyde was shockingly knocked out by Tommy Gifford (13st 12lbs) in the opening round of a scheduled four threes at cruiserweight.


What appeared to be a glancing right hand counter had a sudden and dramatic effect on the legs of Benson who looked like he had received an electric shock, so profound was the reaction. He fell to the floor, made several unsuccessful attempts to regain his feet, before he finally hauled himself upright but was certainly in no position to continue and referee John Latham waved the contest off. The end came at 1-30.


Stoke’s Marcus Le Doux (11st 9lbs) edged a close opening bout of the evening over four threes against Dan Blackwell (11st 8lbs) from the Carl Greaves camp, taking the contest 39-37 on referee Steve Gray’s card.


License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &