Kent’s Leon Senior has finally got a shot at the vacant Southern Area light-heavyweight title on Olivia Goodwin’s ’Collision Course’ show at York Hall in London on March 9.
Senior had originally been matched with Margate’s Jay Morris for the vacant title only for Morris to withdraw from the bout. The Area Council then matched Senior with Andreas Evangelou for the vacant title. The fight went to purse bids which were won by the Goodwin team only for Evangelou to withdraw from the contest.
Mickey Helliet fighters Dan Woodgate and Joe Smyth both turned down the opportunity and it was left for Danny Couzens to step forward. After some deliberation the Area Council confirmed today they will sanction the bout.
“I would like to thank my manager Michael Amoo-Bediako and my promoters the Goodwin team for their persistence in getting me this title shot," said Senior. "I am determined to win this coveted belt."
Goodwin has also won purse bids to stage John McDermott v Ian Lewison for the Southern Area heavyweight title on 5th April at Grays, Essex. However, it is not confirmed if McDermott will take on Lewison or vacate the title.
Lewis Taylor aiming to master Monaghan in first title shot
Lewis Taylor (7-0) gets his first taste of title action in Sheffield on March 2. The undefeated Derbyshire fighter will take on Lincoln’s Michael Monaghan (18-27) over eight rounds for the International Masters title.
Taylor, who is a qualified accountant turned professional in October 2011 after a successful amateur spell which saw him reach three national finals and also earn the right to fight for his country.
“So far everything has gone according to plan. Its flowing just right,“ said Taylor.
“The fights are coming at the right time for me, not too soon but then again I don’t want to much of a gap between fights. My promoter Dennis Hobson is doing a great job of guiding my career.
“I think I am progressing nicely and improving all the time. Moving from the amateurs into the professional side of the sport is a massive change, you can take your time more and it’s all about picking your shots and making them count. This is what we have been fine tuning in the gym.”
Ryan Scott looking to steal the show at the ’Steel Men Return’
Wishaw Middleweight Ryan Scott is guaranteeing that on March 8th he will steal the limelight away from the main event, which features Paul Allison v Gary McCallum for the vacant Scottish Middleweight title.
After a four year break between his debut, and his second fight Scott insists that he has it in him to win honours “There was quite a break between my first and second fight, but on my second I used this to see if I still had the magic and after six rounds with Duncan Cottier and I feel I still have a lot to offer,” said Scott.
“I have been training hard, working on my timing and been hitting the bag. I have also been getting in some serious sparring and without going to much into it, I have gone through a few sparring partners!” added the 29 year old.
Prospect Boxing and Chris Gilmour present ’The Steel Men Return’ an evening of Professional Championship Boxing at Ravenscraig Sports Facility on Friday March 8th. Headlined by Gary McCallum v Paul Allison for the Vacant Scottish Middleweight Title.
With a 10 fight undercard it features Rhys Pagan, Mark Parvin, Sean Watson and Ryan Scott. Jordan McCorry, Darren McAdam, Mitch Prince and Martin Taylor makes his pro debut in the Light Welterweight division while Alex Montgomery makes his debut in a Super Middleweight bout.