Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

22 JUNE 2018

Where am I? Home Fight Reports

FULL REPORT: Stevens Destroys Roman,Adamek Schools Guinn, Chambers Defeated

Adamek pressures Guinn (alls pics Russ Johnson)
Adamek pressures Guinn (alls pics Russ Johnson)

By Derek Bonnet from ringside: The Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, CT, USA played host to another evening of NBC Sports Network’s Fight Night on August 3. The "Three to See" card featured rising middleweight contender Curtis Stevens, heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek, and former heavyweight title challenger Eddie Chambers, who was making his cruiserweight debut. Boxing fans at the Mohegan sun witnessed candidates for Upset of the Year and KO of the Year in separate bouts. The seven bout card also featured rising heavyweight prospect Vyacheslav Glazkov and other local talent.


In the televised opener on Fight Night, Eddie Chambers, 31, scaled a career low 196 pounds to make his debut in the cruiserweight division. Chambers long toiled with the idea of raiding the 200 pound class and many experts predicted a successful run as champion as the likely outcome. Instead, Chambers lost a lopsided unanimous decision to a relatively inexperienced and unknown foe in Thabiso Mchunu. In shedding the extra pounds, it seemed Chambers lost all desire and energy to throw punches as he postured the night away.


In the opening round Chambers was repeatedly tagged with right hook while trying to apply a shoulder roll defense. Chambers pumped single jabs off their mark while Mchunu landed quick one-twos in low volume, but in with precision. The frame mirrored a typical feel out round, but Chambers’ inaccuracy was alarming. Chambers remained inactive in round two, shrugging off punches when he got tagged. His posturing was not appreciate by fans early on. Few punches landing from either fighter, but Mchunu’s mere flicks with the jab were true connects and out-number Chambers. Chambers was slightly busier in the third, but clearly gave up rounds to a few clean punches from Mchunu. The straight left landed for Mchunu with growing regularity. Chambers was too busy posturing trying to make it clear he was not hurt after repeatedly having his head snapped back. Mchunu landed left jabs followed by right crosses for much of the next two round. Chambers still fought with no rhythm and jabbing short of his target. After five rounds, Chambers had not won a single round on my SecondsOut scorecard and trailed 50-45.


Chambers was reduced to snapping jabs at the wind while Mchunu pumped a stiff jab with a straight left behind it. Chambers missed his shots badly and was countered successfully by the South African fighter in the sixth round. Mchunu, known as The Rock, touched the body behind a measured jab, but both fighters paced the ring for long periods of time without throwing. Chambers had his best round in the seventh, but was far from impressive as both men dropped their punch outputs. Mchunu resumed his control in the eight and coasted to the final bell by simply outworking Chambers with the jab. In the final moments of the tenth, Mchunu rocked Chambers back on his heels, but the attack was too little too late to press for a stoppage victory.


SecondsOut’s final tally gave the bout to Mchunu by a wide margin of 99-91. The official judges were in agreement and gave the win to Mchunu by scores of 99-91 twice and 97-93. Mchunu, 25, raised his record to 14-1 (10). The passionless Chambers dropped to 36-4 (18). Mchunu positioned himself for legitimate consideration of 2013’s Upset of the Year.


Although Curtis Stevenson was being showcased as the fighter in the main event, the overwhelmingly Polish crowd was at the Mohegan Sun Arena to see Tomasz Adamek remain in heavyweight title contention and did not even stick around for the final bout after the scorecard were announced, giving Adamek his forty-eighth professional win. Adamek met Dominick Guinn in a ten round bout after Connecticut’s Tony Grano pulled out due to injury.


Adamek, 36, controlled the first round by pumping his jab. Several good right hands landed behind the jab throughout the first three minutes while Guinn seemed content to plod around the ring catching leather. Therefore, Adamek used the same plan in round two and so on: pump the jab in search of the right hand. Guinn buckled slightly off a right hand late in the second round. Guinn opened up the third with more of his own punches. He landed the left jab and a hard right cross to push Adamek back on heels. It was met with sharp right from the Polish icon. A double left hook followed as it was clear Adamek was the speedier of the two. Guinn suffered a cut over right eye late in the round from what the referee ruled a clash of heads. A good exchange started the fourth as both boxers landed right hooks simultaneously. Adamek followed up with another right hook and then doubled with the left hook. Guinn followed Adamek around ring disinterestedly and began leaving himself an open target for more body work from the former two-division champion. After five rounds, it was clear Guinn was just there to survive. A big one-two from Adamek wobbled Guinn. It seemed to waken up Guinn enough to fire an overhand right that connected with power. An overhand right landed by Adamek to punctuate the exchange. Lead right landed for "Goral", as Adamek is known back home, to close out the first half of the fight. The Polish pugilist led 50-45 on my SecondsOut scorecard.



Stevens' KO punch of Roman
Stevens' KO punch of Roman
Roman is stretched out
Roman is stretched out

Adamek worked with his left hook to start the sixth.  It began setting up a three punch combination: left, right, uppercut. Adamek utilized this series of punches with greater frequency as Guinn tired. Sensing some possible urgency, Guinn landed a right hook and led for the first time since the opening bell. Adamek appeared to be taking  a breather and slipped on a wet decal after a Guinn right. A  left uppercut rocked Adamek’s head back in what was likely the hardest punch of the night. It earned Guinn his first round at Secondsout, but the comeback was short-lived.  A clash of heads hurts Guinn early in the eighth, but no intervention was made. A right hook wobbled him further. Rapid combos to the head put Adamek back in charge. Digging body shots from Adamek finished the round. The highly rated heavyweight contender opened the ninth with a series of hooks to rock Guinn. A wide hook from Guinn connected to end the forward momentum of Adamek. Guinn quickly faded though and began not punching while Adamek circled him landing hooks from both sides. The final stanza saw Adamek swarming Guinn with combos, but the Polish fighter failed to not hurt him enough to finish.


SecondsOut again came up with a 99-91 final score, in favor of Adamek. The official scores corroborated the story 99-91 twice and 98-92. Adamek raised his ledger to 49-2 (29). Guinn crashed to 34-10-1 (23).


The main event was witnessed by only a few hundred people as the Polish faithful exited the arena up hearing their hero marched forward with his victory. It was a shame for them because they witnessed yet another candidate for 2013’s KO if the Year. Even if they stayed, they might have missed the action between Curtis Stevens and Saul Roman.


The night ended early. A left hook floored Roman as Stevens looked for another first round KO just seconds into the fight. Roman crumpled to the canvas and looked very much like a fighter ready to fold. A second left hook about a minute later stopped Roman cold for the count. The time of the stoppage was 2:26 of the round.


Stevens, 28, raised his record to 25-3 (18) and claimed the NABF middleweight title. His win-streak moved to four since a long layoff and a lopsided loss to Jesse Brinkley in 2010. Roman fell to 37-10 (31), losing for the seventh time by KO.


Also on the card in noteworthy action, Vyacheslav Glazkov scored a second round KO of Byron Polley in a heavyweight bout. Polley was floored twice in the first. Once by a right hand and the other after a body assault with both hands. A barrage of punches early in the second scored a third knockdown and ended the bout at the :30 mark.


Glazkov, 28,  moved to 15-0-1 (11). Polley dipped to 25-16-1 (11).


For further boxing discussion, contact Derek DBO Bonnett on Facebook or at



heavyweight Tomasz Adamek w pts 10 Dominick Guinn 
cruiserweight Thabiso Mchunu w pts 10 Eddie Chambers 
vacant NABF middleweight title Curtis Stevens w ko 1 Saul Roman 
heavyweight Vyacheslav Glazkov w tko 2 Byron Polley 
light middleweight Tony Harrison w ko 2 Gilbert Alex Sanchez 
lightweight Michale Brooks w pts 6 Joseph Perez 
welterweight Jimmy Williams drew 4 Greg Jackson


Full report to follow


August 2, 2013

Mchunu goes on the attack
Mchunu goes on the attack
Mchunu backs up Chambers
Mchunu backs up Chambers

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed
License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &