Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

25 APRIL 2018


Evans Wins Welsh Title In Small-Hall Thriller

Evans in action against Shon Davies (Pic Ciaran Gibbons)
Evans in action against Shon Davies (Pic Ciaran Gibbons)

By Dewi Powell at ringside: Pontypool’s Jeff Evans proved his worth of domestic titles with an inspired sixth round stoppage win of the more experienced Shon Davies, to be crowned the light-heavyweight champion of Wales at the Newport Centre in Wales on Saturday night .

The show, promoted by George and Dragon Promotions, was entitled ‘Keeping Welsh Boxing Alive’ and their promise to keep active Welsh titles that have previously been dormant appears to be paying off with a good crowd in attendance.

The bout started with Davies bobbing and weaving to approach Evans before attempting to unload with heavy hooks, most landed on Evans’ gloves but the opening stanza was lively and even. Davies did have success with an eye-catching uppercut at the start of round two, but Evans seemed to have ridden out the early danger as he replied with straight shots through Davies’ guard.

Evans’ skills were beginning to shine through as the bout warmed up. A cool head saw Evans distance himself from Davies’ bursts of three and four punch combinations and timed the approaches to counter accurately. Several flush uppercuts appeared to tire Davies heavily and bloodied his nose.

The tide seemed to have fully turned in the fifth round as Evans began getting the better of Davies’ inside work. Until then Davies’ rough and tumble inside fighting had been a source of success for him. Evans continued his barrage of uppercuts, pinning Davies against the ropes, but he got off the ropes only to be dropped to the canvas moments later from a left hook to the body.

Bruised and bloodied, Davies didn’t answer the bell for the seventh round, handing Evans his first tko win with his record now 6(1)-1-1, while Davies’ record is 7(3)-8(4)-0.

Sparring with Wales’ premier light-heavyweight, Nathan Cleverly, boosted Evans’ preparation who is improving fast with trainer Gary Lockett and while they won’t get carried away with the win, they can certainly be excited with Evans’ best win yet.

The other Welsh title fight of the night ended in disappointment when a hand injury to Newport’s Lee Churcher in the fifth round ended his middleweight bout with Gary Cooper. It went to the scorecards with referee Roddy Evans scoring the bout 38-38.

After a tentative start, Churcher was on his toes, throwing combinations while circling Cooper, who couldn’t get in range to throw much more than his jab. After three rounds of fairly comfortable success for Churcher, he was made to work harder in round four as both fighters met in centre ring more with fairly even tasty exchanges.

But early in the fifth, Churcher recoiled in pain shaking his hand. Referee Roddy Evans called the bout off and it went to the scorecards. The result, a Technical Draw – a rematch makes sense.

Under-card report:

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the only Technical Draw of the night. Darren Pryce (now 0-2-1) suffered a sudden leg injury in his bout with Doncaster’s Andy Roberts (now 15(3)-21(4)-6) after just 26 seconds.

With the programme notes stating that promoters, George and Dragon promotions, were in negotiations for a British title fight for super-bantamweight, Robbie Turley it was important he didn’t slip up. And he didn’t as he ticked over with a routine shut-out points win over Crawley’s Robin Deakin. Turley showcased his speed and reflexes with a punishing series of right hooks to Deakin’s body as Deakin gave Turley little room to target his head.

Referee Wynford Jones scored the bout 40-36. Turley’s record now stands at 10(1)-3(1)-0, while Robin Deakin falls to 1-30(8)-0.

Super-middleweight Kerry Hope got his second straight win since returning from mixed results in the USA, with a points win over Bobby Wood of Walsall. Southpaw Hope started behind a cautious jab before upping the pace with regular feints which Wood was falling for. Despite the dis-interested attempts of Wood to get away from his opponent, the body shots of Hope had slowed him down so Hope could score with his southpaw straight left.

Hope improved to 14(1)-3(2)-0 and Wood slipped to 4-7(2)-0 as the ringside scorer, Roddy Evans, score the bout 40-36.

Cardiff’s super-middleweight, Frankie Borg improved his 100% record with a deserved win over debutant Joe Jones who put up a spirited effort. Initially Borg was frustrated by the awkwardness of the taller Jones, but once Borg got to grips with Jones he landed several short hooks, bullying and breaking his opponent’s blocks who was reduced to arm punches in the closing stanza. Referee Roddy Evans scored the bout 40-36 to Borg who now stands at 3-0-0, while Jones is 0-1-0.

There was also a successful debut for welterweight Dai Jones as he knocked Sean Gorman (now 1(1)-5-0) down on his way to a points win as Jones dictated the pace and exchanges. Referee Clark Joslyn scored the bout 40-35.

May 7,2011

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed
License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &