Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

25 MAY 2018


Hard Knocks Produces Another Exciting Night Of Boxing

O Donnell celebrates victory (pic Stefan Baisden)
O Donnell celebrates victory (pic Stefan Baisden)

By Ryan Waugh at ringside: York Hall was sold out on Friday night for the latest Spencer Fearon and Ciaran Baynes show and the five lively contests didn’t fail to impress.

This was also the first in a series of six shows to be broadcast live on Premier Sports and trainer Adam Booth was making his first appearance as a co-commentator.

The main fight of the night between Darren Hamilton and Dave Ryan didn’t disappoint with this being a rematch from their controversial outing at York Hall in back in June.

The last bout between the pair was stopped due to a head butt and Ryan was awarded the fight. However, roles were reversed last night as Hamilton started well in the first round as he managed to cut Ryan just below the right eye.

As the fight worn on he managed to exploit the same cut and land plenty of clean punches and even more remarkable was that Ryan fell out of the ring on three separate occasions.

Both fighters put on a good show and Ryan was always in the contest but Hamilton just had too much for him and eventually won by 100-91 points to take the British Masters Light-Welterweight title.

However, the most entertaining fight of the night belonged to west London Irishman Simon O’Donnell and Derby’s Ty Mitchell in the middleweight division. The pair were more than hungry for victory and both fighters certainly went gung ho with Mitchell rocking O’Donnell on more than one occasion.

However, O’Donnell stood strong and eventually used his experience to overpower the southpaw with a crunching combination that left the Derby man wobbling into the ropes and the referee duly stopped the contest in the fifth round to raptures applause.

In the super-middleweight clash, Kreshnik Qato and Terry Carruthers put on another intriguing battle which went down to the wire. Both fighters gave as good as they got and it seemed Birmingham’s Carruthers had done enough to win the bout but popular Albanian Qato won the contest by 59-56 points.

In the other two remaining bouts, Nathan Graham was victorious against Latvian Aleksandrs Radjuks in the welterweight clashed as he returned from surgery on a knee injury to outpoint his opponent 40-36.

The remaining featherweight fight between 40-year-old Choi Tseveenpurev and last minute stand in Janis Puksins was a one sided affair which was stopped after only one minute and 46 seconds of the second round. The Mongolian Warrior who was celebrating his 40th birthday had to much in his locker for the young Latvian and the referee stopped the contest after Puksins was down for a third time.

The capacity crowd were treated to an excellent night of professional boxing and can now look forward to more exciting boxing from Hard Knocks in the months ahead.

Choi was too strong for Puksins (Stefan Baisden)
Choi was too strong for Puksins (Stefan Baisden)

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed
License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &