Ask The Editors Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile Login

24 JUNE 2018


Troxy Undercard, Sexton Back with a win

Ashley Sexton
Ashley Sexton

By Wayne Bartlett at ringside: Chief support to the main event saw undefeated super flyweight Ashley Sexton return to action with a win, as he pounded out an eight round points verdict over Frenchman Thomas Masson.

In his first fight since July, the former English champion wasn’t given any favours against 7-2-1(2) Masson, who proved to be a tough customer not short of ambition.

From the opening bell Sexton, 12-0-2(5), took the lead aggressively as he dug in shots to the head and body of the visitor who was covering up well.

Masson started to press forward in the middle rounds, knocking back the head of the crowd favourite who looked to be shedding some ring rust.

The final rounds saw both men trading punches and despite Sexton throwing an abundance of hurtful looking shots, he just couldn’t put a dent in his Gallic adversary.

The final bell left no one wondering which arm referee Ken Curtis was going to raise, but an 80-74 scorecard, despite being deserved, belied a gritty battle for Sexton.

Exactly what the popular former British title challenger needs as he looks to work his way back to the top.

Eliott Matthews kicked off Friday night’s action on the undercard of the Mickey Helliet show in association with Queensberry Promotions.

Matthews making it two wins out of two as a professional when recording a first round TKO over James Smith.

Brighton’s ‘Lightning’ Lloyd Ellett was the victor in the following bout after stopping Shaunn Watt in two rounds at welterweight.

Having proved the aggressor from the opening bell, Lloyd landed at will in the second, and after stiffening the legs of Watt with little coming back, referee Ken Curtis stopped the fight with the towel being thrown in.

Former PrizeFighter entrant Jack Morris looked impressive as he dismantled Lithuania’s Egidijus Kakstys.

By far the better fighter from start to finish despite looking a little fleshy at light heavyweight, Morris was landing thudding shots with regularity.

A thumping one two combination making Kakstys sag was followed up with a barrage that forced the referees intervention at 2:40 of the second.

Action at cruiserweight arrived next as Irv Pascal took on Moses Matovu.

Tall and powerfully built, Pascal looked the part. Right up until the bell went.

Raw and novice looking in his second pro fight, Pascal was caught waiting far too long, far too often against the languid Matovu, who grew in confidence when realising he could get his punches off with little to fear.

It was a case of Pascal’s reticence against Matovu’s lack of fitness throughout the four rounds, but Matovu’s willingness to attack was enough to claim a 40-37 verdict on Ken Curtis’ scorecard.

Dan Woodgate was victorious on the Limehouse bill, as he claimed a points win over tough Lativian Jevgenis Andrejevs.

The 6-1 (1) Woodgate doing enough over the six rounds against the ring savvy Andrejevs to claim a 60-55 win on the refs’ card.

The ring entrance of Johnny Garton raised the volume of the crowd in The Troxy, as they cheered the Peckham fighter on to a convincing 40-36 points win over southpaw Liam Griffiths.

The unfurling of a banner for Garton calling him the ‘Pexican’ in Mexico’s green, white and red colours looked a fair assessment, as the relentless welterweight pressured his man from start to finish for a clear win.

It was time for the big men in action next as Dillian ‘The Villain’ White took on Kristian Kirilov over six rounds at heavyweight.

The tall White stepped over the top rope when making his entrance to the ring and wouldn’t have to wait long until he could step back over it after catching Kirilov cold with a booming overhand right.

The punch sent Kirilov to the canvas the way a tree being cut down falls to the ground, and with the Bulgarian in no position to continue the fight was waved over at 1:30 of the opener.

After the blink and you’ll miss it main event between Stephen Smith and Ben Jones, Lee Owen scored a handy four round points win over the tough Bheki Moyo.

Moyo, having his second fight in a week, was floored in the opener and rocked again after shipping a crisp left hook.

Owen again showed power in his backhand when rocking his man in the second, but the hard Moyo showed his typical toughness to see out the four rounds but drop a 39-36 verdict.

With the cameras off and the BoxNation crew packing away, the penultimate bout of the evening saw Carshalton’s Ricky Boylan make quick work of Tottenham’s Ben Zarakani.

After shipping heavy hooks in the centre of the ring, Zarakani’s balance was all over the place before he dropped to the floor by the ropes.

Rising on unsteady legs, referee Jeff Hinds wasted no time in calling an end to the fight after 1:23 of the opener.

The final bout of the night saw Chas Symonds triumph with a clear win over Sergejs Volodins.

After a cagey opener the work-rate was picked up by Symonds, who let his hands go in the last to earn the 40-36 win on the scorecard to conclude the entertaining Mickey Helliett/Queensbury Promotions show, hampered only by some long delays due to the television obligations.

Twitter: @Wayne_Bartlett_

Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed
License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &