Carl Froch’s IBF World super middleweight title challenge against Lucian Bute in May could be heading outdoors after a massive response from the public has led promoter Eddie Hearn to secure a bigger venue.
Matchroom Sport announced last week that Froch would face the unbeaten Canadian in his first fight in his hometown of Nottingham in over two years on May 26, and the overwhelming response to the fight has prompted Hearn to search for a huge stage worthy of hosting the mouth-watering affair.
Froch is aiming to become a three-time World champion and will extend his phenomenal run of fights with the best super middleweights in the business when he clashes with Bute, who makes the tenth defence of the title he has held for over four years. Hearn is determined to keep the fight in Carl’s backyard after The Cobra clocked up the air miles in his Super Six adventure, but also said there were other venues in the running.
“Since announcing the fight, the phones, emails and tweets have been relentless,” said Hearn. “Fight fans and sports fans all want to see these two World beaters clash, and I want to make sure as many people as possible get the chance.
“It is important that Carl gets to fight in Nottingham and I am looking at two outdoor venues there. We are also looking at venues in London and Manchester but we are working with Nottingham City Council to try to keep the fight in Carl’s hometown.”
Both boxers will be present at a press conference on Monday March 19 at the fight night venue, and tickets will also go on sale that day at 2pm.
March 9, 2012