Anthony Mundine and Garth Wood ended months of speculation by announcing they will step onto the canvas for their middleweight boxing showdown at Sydney’s Acer Arena, on Wednesday 8 December 2010.
Garth “From the Hood” Wood 9-1-1 (35) famously won Fox8’s hit reality TV show The Contender Australia earlier this year paving the way for a showdown with Mundine.
Since claiming The Contender Australia title 32 year-old Wood remains undefeated, recently scoring impressive wins over Ryan Coppick and Elvin Marbun
There is no question however this will be the former NRL stars’ toughest test to date.
“Anthony has transformed boxing in Australia forever and it’s a great thrill to be given a chance to step into the ring with him,” said Wood. “He has fought some of the biggest names in the sport, but I’m on the way up and this is my chance to show the world that I have what it takes to be the best. I’ve been training for this moment all year and my fans out there can rest assured that I will be ready to give Choc the fight of his life”.
For 35 year-old Mundine 40-3 (24), this fight announcement marks another opportunity for the three-time world champion to silence another Australian boxer.
“The Man” has openly declared his desire to become a three-weight-division world champion and despite moving up a weight division for this fight, believes he still has the power to defeat Garth Wood.
“Garth is a strong fighter, he’s a brawler, a hustler, but it doesn’t matter if it’s at super-middleweight of junior middleweight, he still gotta catch me,” said Mundine. “I’ve got a possible WBA world title fight early next year, but one step at a time and right now my focus is beating Garth Wood on December 8”.