Ask The Editors
SecondsOut.com Logo - click here to go back to the home page
News divider Features divider Schedules & Results divider Rankings and Stats divider Community My Profile
Login

FORUMS

21 DECEMBER 2014

 

Vitali Klitschko Respects Solis challenge


Klitschko and Solis square up to each other
Klitschko and Solis square up to each other

WBC heavyweight champion had nothing but respect when he came face to face with undefeated Cuban challenger Odlanier Solis at today’s press conference to publicise their March 19 showdown at Germany’s biggest indoor arena (Lanxess Arena) in Cologne.

“I have fought a lot of strong opponents but I have never been in the ring with an Olympic gold medallist“, said Klitschko. “I expect a very tough and close fight against a very talented young boxer who comes to take the belt from me. I won’t let that happen though. I will show why I am the champion and defend my title.“

However, the compliment was not returned. Solis did not look too impressed by the champion’s superior physique (Klitschko is 6 inches taller than his challenger). When asked how he feels going into the toughest fight of his professional career so far against a true champion, ‘La Sombra’ just smiled and said: “What makes you think that this will be my toughest fight? Can you tell me what makes a boxer a strong or superior boxer? So far all guys I fought had two arms and two legs. I would understand your question if I would fight an opponent with three fists for the first time...“


When Solis’s promoter Ahmet Oner took to the stage he took the opportunity to attack Klitschko’s management once again.

“Usually the team of the challenger starts with thanking the champion’s team for the opportunity“, Oner said. “I’m sorry that we can’t do it this way this time.

“The Klitschkos did everything they could to avoid this fight. They tried to sneak out of it over and over again. So we don’t thank them. We had to work very hard to get to this point and we deserved this chance. I want to thank the WBC and president Jose Sulaiman and, of course, I thank RTL because they kept the ‘Klitschko legend’ alive over the last years even though they only fought tomato cans in terribly boring snoozers.

Oner added: “We will indemnify the German boxing fans for all the sh*tty Klitschko fights they had to endure over the years with one of the greatest heavyweight bouts ever.

"To me this is history in the making. It is the first time in history that a Cuban A class heavyweight has left the country to fight for the world championship as a pro. Boxing fans will always argue how Ali would have looked against Stevenson (Theo) and what would have happened if Tyson and Savon (Felix) would have fought in their primes. In this generation for the first time we have the chance to see what happens when the best Cuban heavyweight fights the best heavyweight of the rest of the world. I put my money on Cuba.“

January 26, 2011


Subscribe to feed Subscribe to feed
License/buy our content  |  Privacy policy  |  Terms & conditions  |  Copyright  |  Advertising guide  |  Site Map  |  Write for SecondsOut.com  |  SecondsOut Contacts  |  Contact Us

© 2000 - 2011 Knockout Entertainment Ltd & SecondsOut.com