Seconds Out

Mundine stops Waters in 10

Anthony Mundine wins
Anthony Mundine wins
By Paul Upham: Former super middleweight and middleweight world title holder Anthony Mundine moved closer to a world title fight in his third boxing weight class with a 10th round TKO win at junior middleweight over fellow Australian Ryan Waters on Wednesday night 15 September 2010 at Wollongong Entertainment Centre in New South Wales.

“We both did our best and we both deserve a round of applause,” said Mundine 40-3 (24).

In a fast paced battle, Waters 20-3-2 (12) fought impressively and aggressively in rounds 4, 5 & 6, before being stopped in round 10 at the 0:24 minute mark.

32 year-old Waters, dressed in black trunks with white trim, was jabbing forward early in round 1. Mundine, in black trunks with red and gold trim, was throwing uppercuts as Waters rushed at him. A big right uppercut rocked Waters, Mundine also jabbing as he took punches to the body.

Fast jabs from Mundine in round 2 were followed by right uppercuts. Waters was trying to rough up Mundine on the inside, but Mundine’s faster hands saw him land more regularly. Mundine’s perfectly timed uppercuts were eye catching.

Mundine tried to duck out of the way of Waters forward rushes in round 3. Waters was warned by referee Will Soulos for hitting in the back of the head. Waters walked into Mundine’s jab, but a strong right hand in reply got The Man’s attention. Mundine fired back in a flurry and Waters stuck his tongue out and attacked with vicious fury.

Aggressive attacks from Waters in round 4 kept Mundine on the outside. A right to the nose and body of Mundine hurt him. The relentless swarming attack from Waters reached a peak and the Caringbah boxer was hunting down Mundine with confidence. Mundine complained to the referee about a head clash which cut the skin above his left eye. Waters attacked anyway.

Waters was fighting at his own busy pace in round 5, not letting Mundine dictate. Mundine was throwing right hands without real power as Waters maintained a fast pace, pummelling Mundine with his back on the ropes. Mundine complained to the referee again about head clashes. A confident Waters launched himself into his punches. An angry Mundine unloaded with multiple combinations in reply. Waters just shook it off and walked forward again. Mundine was leaning trying to evade Waters attack, his face bloody from his eye cut.
Visibly bruised on his face, Mundine was jabbing fast to begin round 6. Mundine was trying to set his feet and punch hard to make Waters pay for charging forward. There was a chant of “Waters, Waters” around the arena from his supporters as he relentlessly attacked. Mundine landed an extended flurry to end the round.

In round 7, Mundine was landing single punches. It was a slower pace as Mundine waited for Waters to come into range. Mundine dug to the body. After extended jabs from Mundine, Waters rushed forward and landed right hands. Waters was warned for head clashes.

Mundine’s left eye cut was still bleeding in round 8. His corner couldn’t stop the blood flow. Mundine was moving left and right to catch Waters as he lunged forward. Waters was rocked by Mundine and bobbled on suddenly weak legs. Mundine attacked and Waters replied with a flurry. Mundine ducked down to avoid punches.
Both boxers were tired after a fast round. Waters was looking wobbly but then exploded once more at the bell.

In round 9 the faster Mundine was picking Waters off as he was coming forward.
Mundine landed right hands more consistently and Waters was on wobbly legs again.
Waters’ forward movement was less prominent and staying outside in range of Mundine’s right hands. Somehow, despite the punishment he had received, Waters reloaded again somehow and resumed his attack. Mundine stepped up his own attack and while there was no knockdown, the referee issued a standing eight count after Waters was hurt by a right uppercut and left hook and was wobbly on his legs. The bell to end the round saved Waters from further punishment.

Mundine attacked from the opening bell in round 10, looking for a stoppage. A left hook hurt Waters and then two more left hooks knocked him down. Referee Will Soulos stopped the fight after only 24 seconds as Waters’ trainer David Birchell entered the ring.

Mundine was pleased with a stoppage win after nine consecutive points decision wins.

“I told ya. I’m only going to get stronger,” he said.

Next up for “The Man” in December 2010 will be a contracted match with the winner of The Contender Australia television tournament, Garth Wood.

Wednesday 15 September 2010
Wollongong Entertainment Centre, New South Wales, Australia

Anthony Mundine w.tko.10 Ryan Waters - junior middleweight
Garth Wood w.ko.1 Elvin Marbun - super middleweight
Johannes Mwetupunga w.ud.10 Kurt Bahram
Australian middleweight title
Billy Dib w.ko.4 Jack Asis - super featherweight
Nick Xipolitas Fred Nagi - light heavyweight
Peter Kazzi w.ko.2 Jakkirt Suwunnalirt - super middleweight
John Krishna Jr w.tko.3 Junior Kuar Singh - welterweight
Andrew Green w.tko.1 Otto Merlin - light heavyweight

Paul Upham
Content Editor
© 2000 - 2018 Knockout Entertainment Ltd &