August 23, 2001 – By Paul Upham: Three-time world champion Jeff Fenech, trainer and manager of IBF No.1 light-heavyweight Glenn Kelly, confirmed today that negotiations had begun with representatives of WBC, WBA, IBF and IBO champion Roy Jones.
“Glenn’s promoter Murad Muhammad has commenced talks with Roy’s people,” said Fenech. “We do not have a date or venue yet, but we expect the fight to be in the USA before the end of the year. It’s great news for Glenn who has worked so hard to become the No.1 contender.”
Kelly was installed as the mandatory opponent for Jones after his February 24 knockout win over Billy Lewis on the Roy Jones-Derrick Harmon undercard in Tampa, USA. Jones’ last mandatory defence of the IBF title was on September 9 last year against Eric Harding.
The 30-year-old Kelly, 28-0-1 (16), was encouraged by the news today, but still cautiously waiting for his chance to sign on the dotted line for his world title shot.
“Until the contract has been sent over and I have signed it, I won’t be totally satisfied,” said Kelly, who is also rated No.3 by the WBA, No.2 by the WBO and No.6 by the WBC.
“I have to concentrate on being prepared. It’s hard to focus when there are so many distractions around. I really have to get myself away from everything so I can be at my absolute best for this fight.”
Kelly will go into training camp with Fenech and stablemate WBO No.2 flyweight Hussein Hussein on Monday.